Home Care in Maple Grove MN
As a family caregiver it is likely that you are always vigilant about the types of risks and challenges that your aging parent might face. There are times when you might hear about certain risks and not be completely sure what they mean, if the risk impacts your parent, and what you might be able to do to help them to avoid the consequences of such a risk. By taking the steps to understand these risks you can help to better protect your parent and keep them safer and healthier as they age in place. One such risk is carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is a byproduct of burning fuel. The most common sources of this gas is heating equipment, stoves, fireplaces, and cars. When this type of gas builds up in the bloodstream it can lead to a dangerous condition referred to as carbon monoxide poisoning. Each year throughout the United States more than 20,000 people go to the emergency room with effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. 4,000 people will end up hospitalized due to this condition. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 400 people throughout the United States will die from carbon monoxide poisoning each year. As a family caregiver it is important to know that elderly adults and those who are suffering from cardiovascular disease, respiratory problems, or anemia are more vulnerable to the negative effects of carbon monoxide and more susceptible to death caused by this issue.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Flu-like symptoms
- Chest pain
- Upset stomach
Some of the ways that you can help your loved one avoid carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Install a CO detector that will alert your parent to the presence of carbon monoxide in their home
- Never burn charcoal inside the home
- Have their chimney checked annually to ensure it is in good working order
- Do not use chemical burning heating equipment indoors
- Do not use generators indoors
- Do not place a generator within 20 feet of a window or door
- Never use a gas range or oven for heating
- If there is an odor coming from your parent’s gas stove or oven, have it serviced immediately as this might indicate that there is carbon monoxide leaking
If you are concerned about your aging parent’s health and safety as you move into the cold winter season and want to take steps to help them live a more active, engaged, and fulfilling quality of life, now may be the perfect time for you to consider starting home care for them. An in-home senior care services provider can acknowledge the issues and challenges that your aging parent is facing and use those to create a personalized approach to care and assistance tailored specifically to them. This starts with a schedule that is customized to not only your parent’s specific needs, but also their goals and your care efforts. This will ensure that they get everything that they need on a regular basis to help them live the healthy, safe, comfortable, and fulfilling lifestyle that they desire and deserve as they age in place.
If you or an aging loved one are considering home care in Maple Grove, MN, and the surrounding areas, please contact the friendly staff at CareBuilders at Home Minnesota. Call today 612-260-2273.